Thursday, November 14, 2013

The truth behind the woman







I personally think that David Hwang's "The Sound of a Voice" is a very hard play to understand. In my opinion, it is a play that makes you think. It is about two characters who are very complex and in my opinion very mysterious. They both are two very lonely people. This play shows how both individuals are very much not fond of silence. (The man said that he slept near the waterfall because he felt calm with the sound and the woman also said that she will sleep better because of the sound of the man's heartbeat.)

I found an analysis of the play online. Here's a link if any of you guys want to read it. :)
Analysis

I personally feel that this play is somehow a bit symbolic. In the last scene, when the man tried to play the flute, it did not make a sound. In my opinion, this is because the woman died already at that time.

I feel that the stain on the floor is very important. At first, I thought that maybe the woman placed it there on purpose. Why? Maybe it acts as a "test" for the man. Why did she ask the man to remove it? To see how strong the man is. I feel that in this play the woman is weirdly very obsessed with the strength of the man. But, in class, we discusses more about the matter and one of the possibilities is that the stain might be the blood of the past visitors.

I think an interesting thing that can happen is to try and act this play in a modern setting. In this play, the man tried to get rid of the stain with his strength. But I think he could just use one of these methods. :p

How to Remove Stains

Teddy: Well, I think that the woman is plain scary!! I mean, I definitely do not want to be a doll at that place!! It sound so dull and lifeless! I feel that the only things "living" in that place are the flowers! Gosh! How did she survive living there alone? Why did she kill herself? Weird play ...



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I completely agree with you! That play took me forever to figure out, and that was after 10 times of reading it! You do a really good job of explaining the symbolism so it's easier for people to understand! Good job girl! :)

    ReplyDelete