Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Say My Name





Tania: Hi Teddy, I've been in the United States for a few months already, and I realized something. My friends here have names that are not actually their real names. I can name more than five! Every time I see them introduce themselves with someone new, they'll use their alias. Will, Summer, Ivan, V, TJ, Jimmy are some examples. Unfortunately, if you ask me what their real names are, I'm afraid I might not be able to answer you. Once, the teacher called out my friend's name (their real name) and I didn't know that the teacher was referring to him! I was just shocked that he answered. hahahaha. Silly me. Well, I guess most people that change their names to accommodate other people are mostly Chinese or Vietnamese. I think that having a second name is sort of fun, I mean my friend Jimmy said that he chose the name Jimmy because it was the name of his favorite cartoon character when he was a kid so he went with it. But at the same time, I also wonder, won't it be better if people know you as your real name?

Teddy: Tania has known these people since the first week of school, I can't believe that she still doesn't know some of their real names! I mean, I totally get her in a way, some countries have names that are so hard to pronounce and remember. But I suppose she could at least try!!


No comments:

Post a Comment