Tuesday, November 19, 2013

δρᾶμα


Dramas were first popularized by the Romans. During those days, actors were all male. They would dress up as females when female roles were needed. Dramas are a form of entertainment.

When I heard that we were going to have a play in class, I was ecstatic! I love acting! When I was in middle school, my class made a play. It was about the Trojan war. That was my first time acting as a lead character. I was played the role of Cassandra. It was basically a musical, we had songs in between scenes and everything! Our class was going to get graded for the play, so we went all out. We had an extra-ordinary background with lights and a make-up team and even full costumes and props! It was definitely a play I will never forget.



The play I will be acting in in class is called The Sound of A Voice. I am acting out scene 3 with Hans. Honestly, I feel that the scene is sort of weird. It involves touching the male’s stomach a lot, repeating that he’s strong. I know that I have to follow the script, but honestly, some actions written there make me cringe? I mean, what kind of girl would touch a man’s body without knowing him for a long time?

I admit, this play is sort of weird. But, it is somehow good, because it keeps us thinking. We can make assumptions and we can never be wrong! :D

The props Hans and I will be using are just wood, a chair, and an axe. What are the significance of these props? I think all the props used have a meaning.

Wood- Wood is a strong material. Cutting wood is hard work. In Korea, when males are able to cut wood well, they are considered manly.
Chair- Shows that the female is delicate, easily tired.

I practiced the lines myself a few times then with Hans. I think our practice went well. I hope we’ll be able to live up to all of your expectations!

1 comment:

  1. Yes another victim for the Lucio commenting attack!! Ahem, ahem...I'm glad you brought up Rome, did you know in my previous life I was the great ruler Lucius Maximus. No but seriously your performance with Hans in class was phenomenal, so much chemistry. It showed a lighter tone to a quite somber play. Truly a pleasure to watch(british accent)

    ReplyDelete